After attending the class, attendees should be able to:
- Explain how DevOps enables strategic business objectives
- Apply a CALMR approach to DevOps to avoid automating broken processes
- Understand how successful DevOps requires continuous exploration, continuous integration, continuous deployment, and the ability to release to end-users on demand
- Incorporate continuous testing and continuous security into the delivery pipeline
- Use value stream mapping to measure flow and identify bottlenecks in the end-to-end delivery process
- Select DevOps skills and tools strategically for the fastest, most compelling results
- Prioritize DevOps solutions and investments for the greatest economic benefit
- Design and implement a multi-phased DevOps transformation plan tailored to their organization
- Work with all roles and levels in the organization to continually optimize the value stream
What Attendees Get
The class registration includes:
- Attendee workbook
- Preparation and eligibility to take the exam
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Certificate of completion
- SAFe DevOps Practitioner (SDP) certification upon passing the exam
Attendees must attend both days of the course in order to qualify for the exam.
None. All are welcome to attend the course without prior DevOps or SAFe experience.
Job role description/target audience
A Certified SAFe® DevOps Practitioner (SDP) is a SAFe professional responsible for improving the complete flow of value through a Continuous Delivery Pipeline from idea to operational solution. Key areas of responsibility include participating in Continuous Exploration, Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Release-on-Demand, continuous testing, continuous security, and building a culture of shared responsibility.
Key areas of competency
- Describe what DevOps is and why it is important
- Build a culture of shared responsibility across the value stream
- Continuously explore user needs
- Describe architectural considerations for continuous delivery
- Build and integrate the system continuously
- Improve the quality of the system with continuous testing
- Deploy systems to staging and production environments continuously
- Release systems to customers and manage recovery as necessary
- Maintain security by inspecting continuously for vulnerabilities
- Measure the flow through the Continuous Delivery Pipeline
- Support a SAFe DevOps transformation in the enterprise
Exam & Certification Details
Exam prerequisite skills
- Experience working in a Development and/or Operations environment
The first step toward becoming a Certified SAFe® DevOps Practitioner is to attend the SAFe® 5 DevOps Practitioner course. This is a requirement because attending the course provides access to all the study materials and the exam. Note that attending the course does not guarantee to pass the exam.
- Exam name – SAFe® 4 DevOps Practitioner Exam – or – SAFe® 5 DevOps Practitioner Exam
- Exam format – Multiple choice, multiple responses
- Exam delivery – Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access – Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® 5 DevOps Practitioner course
- Exam duration – Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam.
- Number of questions – 45
- Passing score – 33 out of 45 (73%)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – Second attempt on the exam (first retake) can be done immediately after the first attempt. The third attempt requires a 10-day wait. The fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.
Exam study materials
The exam is designed to measure knowledge and skill related to the job role. We highly recommend candidates use a variety of resources to prepare for this exam including:
- Course materials – The course materials are an essential artefact from the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. These materials can be used to refer back to the content that was presented during the class.
- Study guide – This comprehensive guide details the job role and all resources related to the exam, including a detailed reading list. Access is available through the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform upon course completion.
- Practice test – The practice test is designed to be predictive of success on the certification exam,* and it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty, and time duration. It is part of the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform and can be taken an unlimited number of times at no cost. *This is not the actual exam, and passing it does not guarantee success on the certification exam.
Sample Questions – A web-enabled, flashcard style version of the sample questions can be found online and in the study guide.
What you get
Becoming a Certified SAFe® DevOps Practitioner requires an exceptional range of skills and is a career path for many Scrum Masters. Certification includes:
- Certified SAFe® DevOps Practitioner PDF certificate
- Certified SAFe® DevOps Practitioner digital badge to promote the accomplishment online
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform, which includes access to the SDP Community of Practice
- Access to Meetup groups and events that provide connections to other certified SAFe professionals
- A variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey